Jane RaySenior Counsel
Jane focuses her practice on high-stakes commercial litigation, including antitrust, breach of contract, breach of warranty, fraud, and international arbitration.
- Confidential Client. Successfully represented plaintiff alternative energy company in multi-million dollar international arbitration involving breach of contract and fraud
- Joseph Hardesty, et al. Helped secure a unanimous $107 million federal jury trial win for two mining families in California. Plaintiffs alleged that the County of Sacramento violated their procedural and substantive due process rights by improperly shutting down a sand-gravel mine at the urging of a large competitor (top 100 U.S. verdict of 2017).
- MM Steel, LP v. Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co., et al. Represented a start-up steel distributor in a federal antitrust suit against the nation’s largest steel distributors and manufacturers arising from the defendants’ efforts to prevent the entry of a new competitor in the Gulf Coast region. In one of the few per se antitrust cases to proceed to trial in decades, the firm secured a victory in a five-week jury trial on all claims and a verdict of $54 million, which was trebled to $156 million.
- Assisted client in pre-suit investigation involving offshore drilling equipment failure by conducting detailed fact investigation and assessing its potential liability.
- Berge Helene v. GE Oil & Gas. Discovery lead and technical support in $52 million breach of warranty and fraud case involving the performance of reciprocating gas compressors aboard an FPSO off the coast of Mauritania. The five-week bench trial in Houston federal court resulted in take-nothing judgment on behalf of GE Oil & Gas.
- iPic v. Regal. Won a landmark injunction against the nation’s largest movie theater chain for predatory conduct against our boutique theater client under the Texas antitrust act; affirmed on appeal
- Confidential. Secured a $26.5 million+ settlement for a jilted business partner, shortly after jury selection.
- Secured favorable settlement in multi-million-dollar breach of contract and breach of warranty counterclaims on behalf of large energy client.
- M.D. v. Abbott. Helped secure a historic federal verdict after trial, finding that Texas violates the civil rights of 12,000 foster children; upheld on appeal on key issues of overloaded caseworkers, poor oversight, and ongoing federal oversight/monitoring.
- Successfully represented minor in immigration case to prevent her return to a dangerous living situation in El Salvador.