Matthew C. Zorn
Matthew represents clients in a variety of commercial litigation matters, with a focus on patent litigation.
He served as clerk to the Honorable Rodney Gilstrap U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas. Prior to his clerkship, Matthew practiced with Paul, Weiss in New York City.
- In re Scottsdale Research Institute, LLC. Represented Scottsdale Research Institute pro bono in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit requesting a writ of mandamus to order the Drug Enforcement Agency to process its application to grow cannabis for its clinical research after three years of unexplained delay. The D.C. Circuit ordered DEA to respond to our petition. Immediately before DEA’s response was due in the lawsuit, the agency processed our client’s application as well as the applications of 32 other applicants and announced an intent to move forward with the marijuana growers program.
- Silver State Techs. Inc. v. Garmin Int’l, Inc. Part of the trial team that represented GPS technology company against a non-practicing entity. The case resulted in jury verdict invalidating all four patents-in-suit.
- Navico Inc. v. Garmin Intern., Inc. Part of the team that defended Garmin in competitor patent suit relating to marine sonar technology.
- Bluestone Innovations LLC v. Nichia Corp. Assisted in defending Nichia in action brought by non-practicing entity concerning LED technology. The case resulted in dismissal with prejudice without payment.
- Invidi Tech. Corp. v. Visible World Inc. Part of the team that defended Visible World in competitor suit concerning patents covering targeted advertising technology.
- The Honorable Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, Associate, 2018
- Member: Federal Circuit Bar Association
- "Legal and Scientific Issues in Increasing Medical Cannabis Research," Texas Marijuana Policy Conference, August 2019 (co-presenter)
- "State Anti-SLAPP In Federal Court: An Update From Texas," Law360, November 1, 2018 (co-author)
- "Questions Raised By Laws That Use Copyrighted Standards," Law360, August 2, 2018 (co-author)
- "An Uptick in Customer-Suit Exception After TC Heartland?" Law360, November 9, 2017
- "Venue Transfers Within East Texas: The Case To Know," Law360, October 11, 2017
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 2012 (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 2010, 2011, 2012; Articles Editor, The Columbia Journal of European Law)
- Emory University, B.A., European History and Applied Mathematics, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, 2009
- Law Clerk to The Hon. Rodney Gilstrap, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2016-2017
- Admitted to Practice: New York, 2013, Texas, 2017; Eastern District of Michigan, 2014, Federal Circuit, 2017, Eastern District of Texas, 2017; Southern District of Texas, 2018; District of Colorado, 2018