Rhuju is a trial lawyer whose practice focuses on high-stakes commercial litigation and arbitration, with experience spanning a variety of industries, including energy, entertainment, technology, government, and agriculture. Representing clients in federal and state courts and in arbitration, including leading and contributing in two arbitration hearings, she regularly helps to solve challenging legal issues.
Rhuju clerked for Magistrate Judge Zack Hawthorn of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, and with an alternative dispute resolution firm. Prior to joining the firm, she practiced with Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough.
Rhuju is recognized as a “Texas Rising Star” in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers. She is admitted to practice in Texas and Washington, D.C., and is fluent in spoken Gujarati.
- StollerUSA v. Agri-Science Techs. Successfully represented Stoller, a world leader in agri-science and specialty agricultural products, in a contract/trade secrets suit against a former distributor and its principal. Following fast-tracked discovery and just days before trial, defendants agreed to a multi-million-dollar settlement and permanent injunction barring further manufacture or sale of counterfeit Stoller products, misuse of its information, and misrepresentations.
- SkyVenture Int’l Ltd. v. Indoor Skydive Australia Group Ltd. Part of team that won a complete victory for our client in an arbitration administered by the Int’l Centre for Dispute Resolution. The client operates as iFLY Indoor Skydiving in selling and operating vertical wind tunnel equipment. We filed the arbitration against our client’s longtime Australian licensees over issues of contract compliance, and they raised antitrust defenses. At stake was our client’s core business model which has helped it grow into the leading global provider in this new entertainment industry. After a final hearing that included both side’s founders as well as financial, economic, and foreign law experts, the tribunal divided the matter into liability and remedy phases and issued a full liability award for our client.
- American Airlines, Inc. et al. v. Catarineau Awarded summary judgment and permanent injunction against defendant who filed liens on American Airlines’ aircraft. The court not only held that the liens filed by the defendant were fraudulent and invalid, but also enjoined the defendant from filing further liens against American Airlines without a Texas District Court’s approval. In addition, the court awarded American Airlines its attorney’s fees and statutory damages amounting to $20,000.
- Ruben Rodriguez v. Encana Oil & Gas (USA) Inc. Secured a complete dismissal of a breach of contract claim brought against client Helmerich & Payne by a subcontract employee who allegedly was injured on an H&P rig located on Encana’s property. Granting our motion to dismiss, the Court held that the plaintiff could not establish he was a third-party beneficiary of his daywork drilling contract where he only pleaded that he received incidental benefits from H&P’s obligations under the contract.
- Represented major financial institutions on lender liability issues including mortgage foreclosures and claims related to loan origination and servicing practices.
- “Texas Rising Star,” in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers, 2020
- Member: Texas Minority Counsel Program Steering Committee, State Bar of Texas, 2019
- Member: Women's Energy Network
- Member: Asian-American Bar Association of Houston
- Member: Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Member: Houston Volunteer Lawyers Equal Access to Justice Society
- Fellow: Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow: Houston Bar Association
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2013 (Dean's Scholarship, Pro Bono Challenge Award)
- University of Texas, B.B.A., Business Honors Program, B.A., Plan II Honors Program, with high honors, 2010
- Law Clerk to The Hon. Zack Hawthorn, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2013-2014
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Law Clerk with MARKSADR, LLC, 2014-2015
- Admitted to Practice: Texas, 2013, Washington, D.C., 2014